Let's Get One Thing Straight ...I'm Not!

Hello, friends!
I hope you all are having a very gay day!
My name is Ali, and I'm 21 years old, born and raised in Kansas. Right now I am in my junior year at Washburn University where I'm studying creative writing and public relations. Throughout this semester, I'll be using this blog to guide you through the ins-and-outs of LGBTQIA+ culture in modern times, while also educating you on what you need to know about LGBTQIA+ history.
On a more personal note, you may be wondering why I felt the need to run an entire blog based on this topic. If you hadn't guessed by the title of this introductory post, I'm not straight.
For a lot of queer people, they may say they knew from a young age that they were different; they didn't feel like they fit in the same way with their peers. While this is somewhat true in my case, for most of my life, I never second-guessed my heterosexual identity. I don't know why. This is something I'm still trying to figure out today. I grew up with an open and loving family and friends, so I'm not sure why, when I began to realize I wasn't straight, I began to fill with so much fear.
I officially came out for the first time when I was almost 19. I originally came out as pansexual (if you don't know what this means, that's okay, you'll learn soon enough!), and only told my closest friends. I wouldn't come out to my family and everyone else in my life until about a year later. It wasn't until after I got into and out of my first same-sex relationship that I began to question even my pansexual identity. I started to realize that when I thought about myself as gay, (or lesbian, I often use the terms interchangeably), that it felt more natural and more like home than anything I had ever experienced.
So, in short, there's my story. I am a work in progress. I look forward to sharing more of my story over this semester, and further educating you on what it means to be a Queer in the Modern Age.

--Ali

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is Still Progress to be Made

...Wait - What Does the "QIA+" Stand For? (Part 2)

Gaylist: A Playlist by Queer Artists