...Wait - What Does the "QIA+" Stand For? (Part 2)

I know that gender identity can be a tricky thing for some people to understand. But the best way to view it, I think, in question, is to think about it this way:
I want you to think to yourself about what symbols, colors, or objects come to mind when I say a word -
Girl.
You probably thought about the color pink, doll houses, dresses, and beauty.
Boy.
You probably thought about the color blue, toy cars, sports, and strength.
Now what made you think of these things?
The answer, whether you realize it or not, is probably because we have been trained by society to believe that those things strictly belong in those categories. But what put them there in the first place? Why were they put there? The answer is completely unclear.

There are more and more people defining their gender identities by the day. So, it's best for you to know what all these terms mean:
The Gender Identities:
     Transgender vs. Cisgender:
Most of you are probably familiar with the term Transgender, but may not be familiar with the term Cisgender. A "Cis" (pronounced like "sis" - is the shorter version, typically used in conversation) person is one who identifies as the gender they were born.
Example: I was biologically born a female, and that is how I identify, therefore, I am cis.
On the opposite, a transgender individual is one who identifies as the opposite as what they were born (someone who may be biologically born a male but identifies as female, or someone who was biologically born a female but identifies as a male.)
     Gender-Fluid/Gender-Queer:
Someone who identifies as gender-fluid or gender-queer means that their gender varies over time.
Example: Over one span of time an individual may identify as more female (whether it be day-by-day, months, or even years), then may identify as agender, and so on.
     Agender:
An agender person is one who doesn't identify as any specific gender.

     Gender Pronouns:

You may or may not have been in a situation, or have heard people talk about their "preferred pronouns".

The University of Milwaukee's LGBT Resource Center website defines gender as: "The pronoun that one uses to identify themselves."

The most common pronouns that one may use to identify themselves are:

She/Her
He/Him
They/Them

Because pronouns are a personal choice, it's always better to ask someone what they may prefer, than to just assume how they identify.

-
I am not the first to say that how society has taught us that we should view gender is completely wrong, and it is our job, as LGBTQIA+ members and allies, to question all of it, constantly.
Who says that only girls can play with dolls, or that only boys can play with cars? There is nothing stopping each of us from simply doing whatever we want.
More elements of society are beginning to break down gender barriers, it is becoming more socially acceptable for men to wear makeup, for example. About two years ago, Target superstores decided to stop using "boy" and "girl" labels in their toy section. Many retailers have also started installing non-gender-exclusive bathrooms, to accommodate queer individuals.

I hope to one day see the day where my transgender, gender-fluid, and agender friends can gain the acceptance and rights that they deserve. I don't think it's too radical for me to think that one day we can live in a world without so many gender labels.

(Gifs used with credit to tumblr user jimmriarty)
RuPaul's Drag Race season nine winner, Sasha Velour has used her notoriety to denounce gender as a social construct, as seen in the gifs above.

I hope you have lived through all my horrible sexuality jokes and puns, but more than that, I hope that this has taught you how beautifully diverse our LGBTQIA+ community is.
Now get out there and show your support for your LGBTQIA+ siblings!

As always, have a gay day!
--Ali

Comments

  1. This is such a great post! From the moment I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I made it clear to everyone that we were not going to set her up with typical girl stereotypes. My favorite color is blue. I love basketball. I've never been what some might call "girly," whatever that actually means. I loved this part of your post regarding gender neutrality. Who says boys can't love playing with dolls?! It fosters love and compassion! Who says girls can't get dirty and play in the mud? It's good for the soul.
    Really enjoyed reading your blog. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning of your post was very unique! I didn't realize that society was so socially out of place. Society plays a huge role on how a person can feel about another or even yourself. Cisgender is a new one for me I have never heard of it but with your example I caught a good grasp of the differences. Giving the one the option to choose your gender role is an amazing thing, no one can judge you based on who you want to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There is Still Progress to be Made

Gaylist: A Playlist by Queer Artists